We have a consistent history of complying with, and in many cases surpassing, the standards set by environmental laws and regulations. In fact, this is the foundation on which we build our environmental performance. We strive to not just meet, but exceed the environmental expectations of our stakeholders and establish new benchmarks by which others in our industry will be measured.
Our commitment to the environment extends beyond the quality of our water into the heart of who we are - your local water company. We are stewards of the communities we serve, and we are proud of the role we play in protecting our environment.
Protecting Drinking Water Supplies
Our top priority at Pennsylvania American Water is to provide high quality, reliable water service for our customers. Collaborative efforts to protect sources of water used as drinking water supplies are an important part of maintaining high quality water, and we are working to further these efforts in the communities we serve. Read more about our source water protection planning, monitoring, and community outreach here.
Environmental Grant Program
Our commitment to protecting the environment runs deep and we’re proud to support the efforts of local organizations that share our vision. Established in 2005, our annual Environmental Grant Program offers funding for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies in our local communities. To date, we have donated more than $490,000 to fund more than 100 projects to protect and improve the environment across the Commonwealth.
Source water protection is a community activity -- there are things that everyone can do to protect and improve drinking water sources. Click here for tips on how residents and businesses can help reduce impacts to local waterways.
We are proud to support and partner with many environmental organizations including (but not limited to):
- Berks County Water and Sewer Association
- Berks Nature
- Brandywine Red Clay Alliance
- Central Pennsylvania Conservancy
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Coatesville Youth Initiative Camp Quiet Thunder
- Conodoguinet Creek Watershed Association
- Delaware River Basin Commission
- Eastern Pennsylvania Coalition for Abandoned Mine Reclamation
- Evergreen Conservancy
- Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority
- Lackawanna River Conservation Association
- Lehman Sanctuary
- Manada Conservancy
- North Branch Land Trust
- Penn State Extension Master Watershed Stewards
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council
- Pennsylvania Envirothon
- Pennsylvania Recreation & Park Society
- Pennsylvania Resource Council
- Schuylkill River Greenways
- Stroud Water Research Center
- Swatara Watershed Association
- Tree Pittsburgh
- Watershed Alliance of York
- Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
- Wilkes-Barre Riverfront Parks
- Yellow Breeches Watershed Association
- York City Parks Conservancy